CAN YOU STAND IT?
by RABBI REUVEN DRUCKER
I occasionally go to synagogue on Shabbat, but feel very uncomfortable — I never know when to stand or sit. I expect that I will eventually figure it out, but it would be helpful if there were some general guidelines you can provide.
- Baruch She’amar (the beginning of what’s called “Pesukei d’Zimra”), p. 370;
- V’yavareich David, p. 396;
- Amidah (silent prayer), p. 420, and the chazzan’s repetition of the Amidah (unless one is infirm), Kedushah (if one sits during the repetition), p. 422;
- the carrying of the Sefer Torah (Torah scroll), p. 436 & p.458;
- the Mussaf prayer and its repetition by the chazzan, p. 462, including Kedushah, p. 464 (if one sits during the repetition);
- Aleinu, p. 480.
Rabbi Drucker can be reached at rabbidrucker@partnersintorah.